Saturday 9 May 2009

Third Blender Movie Codenamed Durian

I couldn't be more excited when I read that the Blender community will work on a third movie with the codename Durian. To me, it marks the emergence of powerful Asia as this fruit is most famous in parts of Asia. The Durian website has this to say:
Durian is an Asian fruit, ugly and smelly but delicious. That’s a perfect code name for a movie project aimed at adolescents mostly; with an epic fantasy theme with lots of action, monsters and a girl hero!
I can't say I agree with the fruit being ugly and smelly. Delicious is accurate. I love the fruit! It is more like dangerous and pleasantly pungent. :D

If the sketch of the girl hero is any indication of what's to come, we could be looking at Final Fantasy-kind of 3D animation here. After watching the first two Blender movies, Elephants Dream and Big Buck Bunny, I am optimistic that Durian will not disappoint in this aspect.

However, also after watching the first two movies, I worry how the new story might come out to be. Elephants Dream I was totally confused with while for Big Buck Bunny, I felt was too simple. Maybe there will be a balance with this third movie. :D

Found out about Durian via BlenderNation. Work commences this September.

While we are at it, I might as well mention that there is also an open platform game made with Blender called Yo Frankie! The game is based on characters from the Big Buck Bunny movie. You might want to check it out. Can't comment on it as I have not played the game.

No comments: