Tuesday 15 October 2013

Invictus Review

When you need an inspiring movie about leadership, search no further. Invictus is the true story of Nelson Mandela's (Morgan Freeman) early days as South Africa's leader where the country wreaks of racism despite the end of Apartheid. An opportunity arised when he watched a rugby match where he noticed the blacks supported the competition while the whites supported the country's own team, the Springboks. To the locals, the mostly white Springboks are still a symbol of Apartheid. During that time, the Springboks were also in bad shape, losing matches.

Against expectations, Mandela stopped the new sports council's unanimous vote to disband the team and instead showed his confidence in the team to win the World Cup which the country will host in a year's time. He met the captain Francois (Matt Damon) to inspire him and the journey began where the Springboks will unite the country by winning the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

The film depicts the divide between the majority blacks and the whites in more subtle forms and is careful on not raising sensitive issues. I think our country could learn a thing or two from this movie and I hope we would not plunge into the same fate, into dark times.

Serious acting? You can expect that in such a serious movie. 4/5
Inspirational story about how a sport could unite a nation. I finally understand why sports could be so important. What a plot. 4/5
Sports fans might find it short of rugby stuff, though... 2/5 ...but after all, it's really about the unity! 4/5
Good movies don't come often and inspirational ones are rare. 4/5


By the way, the name of the movie came from the poem that Nelson Mandela shared with Francois Pienaar which inspired Mandela while he was in prison.


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul. 
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed. 
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid. 
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments: