Wednesday 11 March 2015

Spring Forward with Apple


Another keynote, another hope for surprises. What interested me were:
  • ResearchKit - that's a great thing for medical research. A right step forward indeed. 
  • MacBook (from RM4,499) - the long rumoured 12" is finally announced. What a name. It's not a MacBook Air. It's simply called MacBook. Sounds like Apple is calling it THE MacBook. It's fanless, has Retina display, Intel Core M with 8GB RAM, starts with 256GB SSD, re-engineered full size keyboard, Force Touch trackpad and it's super thin. There's also the new USB-C standard where everything goes into this (one and only) port including power, USB 3 and video out. New battery design plus efficient processor brings up to 9 hours of battery life. It comes in silver, space grey and gold. Truly for the mobile user, IMHO. And going around with a gold MacBook? Woooohooooo!
Although the Apple Watch was the main attraction in this keynote, it isn’t really my cup of tea. I'm not going into specifics here because by now you would've read all about the watch. I don't have that feel for having an advance watch on my wrist, because I'm not exercising (uh oh! Maybe I actually need it to remind me to stand up more!). It certainly didn't have that impact on me like what the calculator watch of yesteryears.

It would be great if the third party apps such as WeChat and Instagram will use the same bubbly thing as its home screen to present their emoticons and photos. Heck, it would be great if Apple’s own Photos app did that. I was also hoping that there is some Wii functionality when combined with the Apple TV (now cheaper), will bring a new gaming experience. Perhaps in the future, then. It’s too early to tell how successful the watch will be but pundits seemed very positive. So it’s going to be the next big thing, but I will just wait patiently for the WWDC and iPhone/iPad keynotes for now.

No comments: