Thursday 2 July 2015

Hung Up On Mac App Store Updates


Since yesterday, I had some problems updating to OS X Yosemite 10.10.4. Once after launching the Mac App Store and selecting the Updates tab, the pinwheel will kick in and spin forever and ever with the 10.10.4 and GarageBand updates hanging there longingly to be installed into my Mac Mini.

Many restarts proved unsuccessful. The same scenario will appear. I also noticed that my Mac Mini actually became quite warm. Very uncharacteristic from its usual cool self. After a few searches, I finally came to a solution from CNET that worked. There are a few steps and here they are. Hope it works for you. For a more comprehensive explanation, visit the CNet link.

Disclaimer: Remember to backup all your data before proceeding! Don't hold me responsible for anything bad that may happen!

1. Look for the Macintosh HD/Library/Updates folder and delete everything in it.

2. Open Terminal, type and run this command: open $TMPDIR../C 
When the window with all the cache files opens, search for folders beginning with com.apple.appstore and send them to the trash.

3. Repeat #2 but this time open the Temporary Files folder: open $TMPDIR../T

4. Launch Disk Utility and Repair Permissions for the Macintosh HD root drive.

5. To be on the safe side, I restarted the Mac and software updates functioned as normal. My Mac is also cool again.

Phew! I was worried I needed to resort to reinstalling the whole OS... something I've done a few times while using Windows.

No comments: