Thursday 14 March 2013

Google Reader - The End Is Near

I was caught by surprise when I read that Google will discontinue Google Reader, the most used Google product EVER... for me, at least. I was in a state of shock and at a lost. My one and only source of news collection will be no more come 1 July 2013. I guess I shouldn't be because I've read somewhere before that RSS is at a decline but still...? HORRORS!

I've been using Flipboard and Feedly on my iOS devices to grab my Google Reader feeds and thankfully, Feedly will be offering a seamless transition as Google Reader sets into the horizon on the first day of the second half of 2013. Feedly has a Google Reader API clone called Normandy that will do all the work in the background. Alternatively, Google offers a way to get all of its Reader's data via Google Takeout.

Whichever way, RIP Google Reader for being there for so many years. :'(

No comments: