Thursday 11 December 2008

Handphone Hunt #6 - Nokia E71

After more than a year since my last handphone lust, I have sort of up the ante and now am wishing for a Nokia E71. Went to a stall to actually hand hold one but ended up holding a dummy, but I was told it is very close to the real thing. So close that the fingerprint issue on the chrome body is such a reality! Besides that, I read in reviews that the LED flash will not function as a flashlight. Urgh! But I read the stripped down model that is the E63 (not in retail yet) could do it.

This E71 looks much cooler than the E61 and E61i in the sense that it is not so wide. The E71 is mainly for the business people on the go, which I am not. I prefer to sit and rot a bit, but still I like the phone's many features:
  1. HSDPA and 3G (really a fan of these two supposedly fast wireless connection to the internet but they are still way too expensive)!
  2. Wifi! Surf at home or at a cafe with wifi!
  3. 3.2MP autofocus camera, though the quality of any camera on phones is a big, big suspect.
  4. A tiny little QWERTY keyboard! If my fingers were any bigger, I might be pressing two buttons at one go, though.
  5. Infrared so that I can transfer over contacts from my ancient classic phone.
  6. Bluetooth! Sync with the computer!
Things that are nice on the phone which I don't really care for: Microsoft Exchange, GPS, non-flashlight LED, mobile VPN, video and music players, blah, blah.

Oh yeah, the stall that I went to said it costs RM1,699 while the recommended retail price is RM1,799. Kinda steep for me so I will just keep wishing for it. Andrewk said he will go buy 4D when I finally buy a new phone. ;)

Meanwhile, do check out the touchscreen Nokia 5800, too - the one you saw in The Dark Knight that was equipped with sonar capabilities.

Note: Photo from Nokia Malaysia's website. Darn it, I did not notice the hand tool on the qwerty keyboard when I ripped that screen but am too lazy to correct that now.

No comments: