Thursday 23 December 2010

Setting Custom Ringtones for Android Phones

Recently, I was playing a lot of Angry Birds and found that the theme is rather catchy and so I was looking for the theme to download and set as my HTC Desire's ringtone. The search was easy enough with Google. The first search result was perfect - AngryBirdsNest.com. iPhone users can find their .m4r version there, too. Downloading was also easy.

Setting the .mp3 as ringtone was not as simple. My initial thought was to just browse to the file, press and hold and there should be a pop-up with the option to set the .mp3 as default ringtone but nope, not as easy as that. Another search and the solution came up. The site I found out from is here though the version of Android it used as illustration was probably an older version that I've never used before (I've only used 2.1 and 2.2 before).

All that needs to be done is to create a Ringtones folder in the SD card's root directory and move the .mp3 file to it followed by going to Settings > Sound > Phone Ringtone and the ringtone should appear there. To create a folder, a third party file browser app is required but these are easily available for free from Android Market. The one I am using is called ES File Explorer. Similarly, do the same for customised Notifications and Alarms sounds.

No comments: