Monday 10 February 2014

Flappy Bird Review (but why is it such a hit?!)

I was not going to download and try out Flappy Bird, I was certain, until Cult Of Mac posted that developer Dong Nguyen is going to take down the game from the iOS AppStore and Android Google Play. So, being a kiasu human, I had to check it out since it's free...

It's a simple, pixelated game where you tap and tap and tap and... to keep your bird afloat. Sorry that sentence may have sounded cheesy but that is really what you have to do.  Of course, if it was that simple, it wouldn't be such a hit. You have to keep your bird afloat by tapping (ah, cheesy cheesy) at the right time to navigate between gaps produced by two green pipes (not unlike the popular Super Mario Bros platformer of yesterday).

To me, the game is so damn bloody hard and a lot of my birds had hit the pipes and, hopefully, not died but just momentarily unconscious. It's good to know that after each lost, a new bird with a different colour takes its turn.

As to why the game is so popular, I am totally at a lost here. My only guess is that people like challenges: I can keep my bird up and go through all those openings without hitting a snag much longer than YOU!

I personally am not very interested in this genre, even those endless runners (but I didn't know what got into me when I purchased that Marvel one though that is a potential post to ramble about), plus this being so difficult and challenging my motor skills... Rating: 1/5

However, I'm not sure if there are any other games out there that are this successful with the download size of just 2.5MB! Rating 5/5 for file size!

And I've found this rather mindless video of the game on YouTube for you to get a feel of things:


I'll just leave you at that while I just go for one last game...

No comments: