Saturday 2 November 2013

It's the Nexus of Transforming Trios

Android 4.4 Kit Kat launched today and Google's own new flagship the Nexus 5 will be the first to be officially installed with it. Great move by Google to make its latest mobile OS support older phones with only 512MB of RAM. I wonder if my 3-year old 1GHz single-core HTC Desire will be getting a Kit Kat MOD. Just like recently launched phones (iPhone 5s included), the 5" Nexus 5 is more evolutionary than revolutionary compared to what the original iPhone had done during Nokia's smartphone era.

What caught my attention was the optical image stabilisation that LG managed to build into the 8mm-ish phone. That's good and should set the bar for upcoming phones. I'm puzzled why Google didn't allow for expandable micro SD, though, with the phone having either 16 or 32GB internal storage. Apps are getting larger, you know.

I am also surprised by Asus' Transformer Book Trio Android tablet-cum-Windows 8 laptop-cum-desktop. It was announced months ago but the ignorant me only just found out today while browsing through tech news. Impressive Intel Haswell processor when it's in laptop or desktop mode. When detached from the keyboard, the tablet is powered by an Atom processor. Ok, this one I'm not too keen. Too used to ARM these days. Below the highlights of Asus' 2013 products with the Transformer Book Trio showing up as the climax. Not something I would buy because I don't expect it to come cheap but still something I would crave for outside of MacBook Pro with Retina and iPad Air.

No comments: