Saturday 31 August 2013

National and "Water Appreciation" Day

Today is Malaysia's Independence Day. And today is also the day where a lot of people should think about the importance of water. There was diesel spillage yesterday morning (the cause differs from various reports, some said it was an overturned truck and the most recent, illegal factory discharge) and 4 water treatment plants had to shut down.

Apparently, at least a million people (my family and I included) were without water by late evening yesterday.This morning, people started rushing out to buy bottled water as if the apocalypse was upon us. Scary. It rained today and we did some rainwater harvesting! Yeah, we should do this more often!

I'm so glad water supply is restored at my area a couple of hours ago albeit with much lower than normal pressure. To the others who had still no water don't worry, it's coming!

Although it's almost over now, I can't help feeling thankful that I've been reminded we have clean water supply 99% of the time. Yes, we're lucky. Let's always appreciate water and not waste it! 

No comments: