Monday 26 August 2013

Someone awesome managed to turn his smartphone into a simple, distraction-free device... and be happy about it!

It takes a lot of courage to remove almost every app that makes a phone smart. The most I managed was to disable the “push” in my e-mail app but nothing else. My social media and news apps are all here whenever I get the chance to use them (yes, ADDICTION!). And it’s through one of these apps, Drippler to be precise, that I found this article about how this rare person opened his eyes to realise there is actually so much more out there than to stare at his smartphone (an iPhone in his case):

Maybe you can handle that temptation. Maybe you’ve got willpower. That’s great for you, but for me, willpower alone didn’t cut it. Checking email, checking Twitter, checking news. Wondering if something interesting was happening anywhere in the world. Wondering if anybody was thinking about me. It started taking away my appreciation of what was going on right then, in the real world. When I got bored for just a moment I’d take the phone out. And each time I was basically saying, “Gee, anything is better than this.”

I felt like my attention span–not so great to start with – was getting worse. My head was kind of buzzing around all the time. And for what? The things I read on the phone tended to make me feel at best unsatisfied (because there’s always more information out there that I haven’t seen) and at worst unproductive and uncool.

via Lifehacker.

No comments: