Wednesday 12 September 2007

Handphone Hunt #2 - Nokia N73

I first set eyes on this when one of my contractors bought it and we were traveling up North. The first thing I did was to try out the camera function. Seemed simple enough to use and it took sharp and crisp photos (from the small LCD screen of the phone). Next, I played with its 3G function. We were trying out remote CCTV monitoring and the loading times were fast enough. This was the first time I experienced 3G connectivity. Very outdated, I know. Also tried surfing net. Cool. All seemed well and I was impressed.

Problem 1:
Then I started to hear that it hangs periodically. The contractor told me the same a few days later that often people will not be able to call him.

Problem 2:
I then went to Flickr to checkout the photos taken using this camera. Looked nice and crisp from the thumbnails but when enlarged 50% or more, I noticed lots of noise reduction and sharpening (no matter if it was daylight or night) making fine details, especially, appear like blotches. The colours also looked way too saturated. BAD! Check out the blue flowers from the sample images from Mobile-review.com here. Also take a look at the large version of the KLCC Twin Towers by rockbeglam here. Look at the textures.

I could not accept the photos it take and feel that at the price of around RM1,499, it is not justifiable so I striked it out from my list.

No comments: