Tuesday 18 September 2007

Handphone Hunt #3 - Sony Ericsson K800i/K810i


By now you would have guessed I am kind of into photography so phones designed for photo taking interest me more. After the N73, I looked at K800i (left) and its almost equivalent younger sibling K810i (from what I know, the advantage is a nicer lens cover and added shadow revealing mode). There's a comparison of the two phones here at Sony Ericsson's website.

It's mostly down to personal taste but I prefer the photos taken by the K800i/K810i than the ones taken by the Nokia N73. In my opinion, the N73 had too much in-camera processing and noise reduction making lots of loss in details. The K800i/K810i, on the other hand, has less of those. Some might say the colours are not so rich, but to me, they looked more natural. I must add that these photos are by no means great if compared to the most basic digital cameras.

The usual 3G and other technology stuff are similar (in terms of specifications) to the N73 and I've only tried the K800i for like 2 minutes so I really can't comment on the handling. However, rumour (reliability in doubt) has it that the K810i "joystick" gets damaged easily. Shrug.

I would consider these guys (probably the K800i because it's cheaper) so this will remain in my list but there are a few negative points I am considering:
  1. Lens cover that juts out
  2. It's a Sony, so it uses proprietary Memory Stick flash memory
  3. It's got Xenon flash (this is really, really a very good feature, just that I am weird and have this thing about having an LED flash so that I can use it as a flash light when in darkness) :P
So now I got one handphone in my list should my faithful, ancient but classic Nokia 6210 fail...

Note: Product photos from Sony Ericsson website.

13 comments:

wooncc said...

Whats the price ?

Adrian Tan said...

From Sony.com.my website, K800i is RM1,399 and K810i is RM1,485.

rainfield wh said...

Hi!

I am into the k-series of the sonyericsson phones also.. if i am not wrong, the new k850i will be out in oct.. 5megapixel! if you can wait, i think its a worthwhile phone..check it out on youtube...

got here via flickr, ur photos fan.. :) i'm malaysian also.

rainfield wh said...

oh forgot to mention the new k850i will not feature a "joystick".. no more joystick problem..

my k800i is already inaccurate and insensitive just after a few months of use...

Adrian Tan said...

Hi waiheng, thanks for the advice. I am still thinking, thinking and thinking... I have a couple of other phones in mind which I will blog about (hopefully) soon!

The K850i would probably be out of my budget... :(

rainfield wh said...

i'm having a gut feeling that the k850 price will not be astronomical... at least in singapore (where i am right now).. coz i noticed the price of k810i dropped to S$480

my guess is that it will be selling ard the $600-$700 range in singapore..

I am dead anxious for the release! :P

Adrian Tan said...

That sounds like good news!

Unknown said...

3D Games Sony Ericsson k800i blog
Sony Ericsson K800i (www.hi-mobile.net) blog

Adrian Tan said...

Oooh... spammer! :@

Anonymous said...

a good read.

Adrian Tan said...

Interesting, anonymous and thanks, battery.

Anonymous said...

[...]resource[...]

Adrian Tan said...

??? spam ???