Tuesday 23 October 2007

Con of Men #3: Bogus Monks

This is not new and I am sure a lot of us had encountered these bogus monks many times. I can't even keep count anymore. Some would come and offer some small tokens if you were to give any donations in terms of cash.

There was once at 1 Utama where I was sitting down outside a shop and this monk approached me... with a friendly smile. Can't remember what he was offering but I declined. He was a bit persistent but in the end, he gave up and he muttered something, the friendly smile turned into a snarl. Can you believe that? For once I felt good to have turned a "monk" away!

Here is an article from NSTOnline about how these "monks" have become a problem, partly due to the public's encouragement through their innocence and also greed for divine favours. The Metta Lodge Buddhist Centre is doing rounds in Johor to educate the public on what real monks do: no money and material possessions. Only donations in the form of everyday necessities such as food, clothing, etc. Real monks only make their rounds in the morning.

Other cons highlighted in this blog:
  1. The Con of Men
  2. Con of Men #2 - The Motorcycle Beggar

No comments: