Wednesday 26 March 2008

And The Story Continues...

Sorry to leave you all in a cliffhanger like that from my previous post from a few days ago. Since I am now in Ubuntu Linux again, I should continue with my story:

I stopped at the part where I could not boot from my Ubuntu thumbdrive nor Windows (please do not be confused with the incident from my most recent post). This time, I took out the internal hard disk and booted from the Ubuntu Live CD. Did the installation again but partitioned the 8GB thumbdrive - allocating 5GB for the file system, 500MB for swap (which I later removed, but that is another story that perhaps will be forgotten) and the remaining for normal storage (I had this wishful thought that perhaps I can use the remaining space as just a normal plug and play thumbdrive for Windows but then Windows do not support partitioned thumbdrives - found this out much later).

After another long session, I got to boot into Ubuntu with the thumbdrive again and waited and waited for some of my friends to come into MSN Messenger (using Pidgin in Ubuntu to access my MSN account) and also at the same time contemplating if I should just drive back to my office to get the Windows CD to run the Recovery Console.

Some more waiting later, WoonCC (linking to his flickr account because he seldom blogs :P) came into MSN and he agreed to meet and bring his Windows CD. And so we met, booted from the CD, went into Recovery Console and at the prompt, typed "fixmbr" and I can boot into Windows again! :D

7 comments:

wooncc said...

chey.... and double chey...

Shooting Star said...

Is Linux that good? Actually, a change may be good... only problem is the need to re-learn the new thingy

Booker said...

Ubuntu sounds like an African tribe somewhere...

Am glad it managed to save the day for you :D:D:D

andrewk said...

Booker: that's because Ubuntu is indeed an African word. 8-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy%29

Adrian Tan said...

wooncc: HMPH! and double HMPH!

star: It seems so much more stable and so far I have not maanged to use any swap files...

booker: Ah! Andrewk answered that!

andrewk: ({)

Booker said...

"humanity towards others"... i like Ubuntu already. I like it more cause it's free! :D

Adrian Tan said...

Hey booker, how about getting your red laptop now and I help to install Ubuntu for you? ;)