Sunday 23 March 2008

Second Post In Ubuntu

This is my second post in Ubuntu Linux. Let me tell you my experience. Went out to buy a 8GB thumbdrive with WoonCC. Full of optimism to install Ubuntu in this thumbdrive so that I can boot with it from any PC. After getting home, got to work, following tutorials from here. Failed many times and gave up for the day. The next day, tried a few more times and still failed.

Therefore, took out the internal hard disk, ran the Ubuntu Live CD and installed the whole thing on the thumbdrive. That took about 30 to 45 minutes. Re-inserted the internal hard disk and got the thumbdrive to boot. I was thrilled but the performance from booting with a thumbdrive is sluggish. Occasionally, the application will halt momentarily, presumably to load stuff from the thumbdrive. :(

After some fooling around I discovered that there are security updates just like in Windows. I had to download and install 200+ of them. GASP! That took several hours. Besides that, with the help of WoonCC, i discovered some fun stuff, particularly the Cube desktop. I could switch between workspaces by rotating the cube (screenshot below)! Oh forgot to mention about the workspaces... basically you can have as many desktops as your machine can take and in Linux these are called workspaces... I think... :P
After awhile, I switched back to Windows XP and I plugged the thumbdrive in. Windows said it can't open it and suggested that I format it... since the whole Ubuntu installation only took about 4GB, so I thought maybe I should partition out 2GB for data usage in both Windows and Ubuntu. So I went about to reinstall Ubuntu... at this point, I must say i am a *NOOB*! This time I did the installation WITHOUT taking out the internal hard disk and at the end of all it, I can't boot from the thumbdrive and I ALSO can't boot from the hard disk!

And I noticed that I have typed too much for this post so I shall stop for now.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Simply Simply said...

After reading this blog, I've the urge to have my own laptop!! So fun to do all these, the feeling after you conquer everything must be very great!!

Adrian Tan said...

Ok ler... sometimes like spent too much time... sometimes syok also... :P