Thursday 8 January 2009

Interesting Windows Driver Software

Recently, I had to format an old Acer laptop (yeah, recently, I've been dealing with a lot of old technology and my mind that is tuned to only the current couldn't keep up :P). I went to Acer's website for the drivers because those that came with the laptop have already gone missing... naturally, naturally. However, the laptop could be that old to the point that the drivers are not found in the website (found the laptop model but not the drivers)! Did some head scratching but luckily I came across this DriverMax just a few weeks or was it a few days (?) ago.

The software (for Windows) saves the drivers in the computer and will restore all of it upon completion of a fresh reinstall. What a miracle! It worked fine except for the integrated Intel graphics. I find this weird because it's Intel but even Windows (as new as XP) could not detect and install drivers for it. Besides that, it went looping round and round so I had to stop it. After a restart, like I said, only the graphics driver was left hanging.

Anyway, other than saving and restoring drivers, DriverMax claims it could keep your drivers updated. Did not try that feature. DriverMax comes with a free version (and a paid one, too, but guess which one I used?) but you would need to register. Otherwise, you will be left with a 30 days trial.

No comments: