Friday 16 February 2007

A Touching Valentine's Day Story

Nope, I'm still not done yet with Valentine's Day even though it was two days ago! Came across this Star Online article yesterday. It's about an old couple who live day-by-day taking care of each other, making a living from collecting and selling recyclable items with their rusty bicycle.

The wife: He is my husband. It is my responsibility to care for him and to love him, no matter what.

The husband commented that "couples like them do not know much about lovey-dovey words."

The husband: But I will take care of her until I die because I am her man and she is my woman. Isn’t that enough?

And what makes this really touching is, the husband is blind since more than a decade ago when he underwent cataract surgery. He was supposed to be resting in bed - doctor's orders. The wife went out to wash dishes in a restaurant to earn a living. Being responsible, he disobeyed orders and went back to work at a construction site where he suddenly collapsed and never gained his sight again (due to over-exertion causing veins in his eyes to burst).

Link: "Blind because of an act of love"

No comments: