Tuesday 6 March 2007

Sumatra Quake

Update (6:37pm)

Latest update from Reuters "Two quakes kill at least 70 in Sumatra" indicated the death toll reached 70.

Update (4:40pm)


There was a second earthquake 2 hours later measuring 6.0. Reuters reported at least 11 people were reported killed from these two quakes while CNN reported at least 30 were killed.


Source: Reuters "Quake kills at least 11 in Sumatra, felt in Singapore"

*****

I was waiting for my lunch in a restaurant and I felt myself slightly disoriented. I thought there was something wrong with me until I came back to the office and colleagues started talking about an earthquake.

Quick news reporting by Star Online, CNN and Reuters as well as the Malaysian Meteorological Department from the Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation indicated there was an earthquake in Sumatra. The magnitude of it ranges from 5.8 to 6.3, depending on which report and where it was detected.

No tsunami warning was issued as yet.


Sources:
Star Online "Quake hits Sumatra, tremor felt in Singapore"
CNN.com with the same title (both through Reuters)
Malaysian Meteorological Department website

No comments: